Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving for Beginners
Connect with Facebook

Henry Taylor Tools
Wood Carving for Beginners

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 01:03 AM

Default Old dry wood

Hello Carvers,
I did some carving about 20 years ago and I am trying to get back into carving again. I have some old roughouts and a pretty good supply of Basswood that appears to have dried out considerably. I tried carving on a couple of small roughouts and the wood splintered instead of cutting clean. (Knife was really sharp.)

Does any body have any suggestions on how to safely restore a little moisture back into the wood that I have?

Thanks,

Bob Hardesty
Old 02-04-2010, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Old dry wood

I use on dry wood a mixture of 50% water and 50% alcohol in a spray bottle. You could spray the wood and put it in a ziplock bag overnight, or spray let soak in and try to carve. Hope this helps !

Dave
Old 02-04-2010, 10:15 AM

i'VE A LIMP OF DRIED OUT LIMEWOOD. i'VE TAKEN IT OUT SIDE FOR THE WINTER. hOPE THAT THIS WORKS.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 AM

I have some 4 X 4 x 12 basswoood that has been laying around the garage for about 20 years...I soaked one in a bucket of water for a couple of hours and let it sand until it dried...about a day...then I cut away using tha alcohol/water spray when needed. Ended up with a caricature caring that if you stand away a bit and squint your eyes, it kinda looks like a cowboy.

Ed
Old 02-04-2010, 09:01 PM

Smile Re: Old dry wood

Thanks to all of you for your responses and ideas. I'll try them all and no doubt have success.

Bob Hardesty