Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving for Beginners
Connect with Facebook

Henry Taylor Tools
Wood Carving for Beginners

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 12:13 AM

Default No workbench

I don't have a good solid place for a workbench, I live in a condo. What are my options. Would a clamping table do?
Old 03-28-2010, 05:06 AM

Default Re: No workbench

What I have done is to lay a sheet of plywood on the carpet in our spare room. The plywood keeps the wood chips from getting into the carpet. I put the insulation that you buy for pipes, on the edge of the plywood that is up against the wall. I bought the “Common Man” bench from American Workbench ( http://americanworkbench.com/index.html ) and John, the owner, made my bench top with a 3 inch over hang on 3 sides so I can clamp my work on the bench. He also drilled a hole pattern in the top so that I can use bench dogs and hold downs or later on I can add a vice to use with the dogs for clamping large projects. He still has my drawing for the overhang and hole pattern, just tell him it’s the guy in Upland, CA. I made 2 “U” brackets that I bolted to the plywood and the front legs of the bench fit into, so the bench won’t slide around. I bought a 2 gal. wet/dry vacuum at Sears to vacuum up all the wood chips so the wife won’t use my mallet on my head. This set-up has worked very well for me.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:04 AM

Grow one!
Honestly I probably do 75% of my carving on my belly. I have an apron with a leather patch right where I set the piece I am carving. It serves two purposes, one to keep cuts off the top of the work bench, the other its a lot more comfortable when I am in production carving mode. Theres also a couple of small pouches for tools on it.

The belly bench works out great for me. It always right there when I need it. I can carve at work, the doctors office, siting out at the park and carving shows.

Besides, I am just following the doctors orders. I was told to watch my weight, So I stuck it out there where I could see it.
Goody
Attached Images
File Type: jpg workbench.jpg (70.1 KB, 136 views)

Some people Plan to cross the finish line in a well preserved package.
Some people cross sliding sideways leaking oil yelling Wahoo!
I'm going in sideways, Ive already got a good start.

http://www.goodysfolkart.com

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Goodysfolkart?ref=si_shop
Old 03-28-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreL View Post
What I have done is to lay a sheet of plywood on the carpet in our spare room. The plywood keeps the wood chips from getting into the carpet. I put the insulation that you buy for pipes, on the edge of the plywood that is up against the wall. I bought the “Common Man” bench from American Workbench ( http://americanworkbench.com/index.html ) and John, the owner, made my bench top with a 3 inch over hang on 3 sides so I can clamp my work on the bench. He also drilled a hole pattern in the top so that I can use bench dogs and hold downs or later on I can add a vice to use with the dogs for clamping large projects. He still has my drawing for the overhang and hole pattern, just tell him it’s the guy in Upland, CA. I made 2 “U” brackets that I bolted to the plywood and the front legs of the bench fit into, so the bench won’t slide around. I bought a 2 gal. wet/dry vacuum at Sears to vacuum up all the wood chips so the wife won’t use my mallet on my head. This set-up has worked very well for me.
I love that one

Gilles

“Friends are the family we choose for ourselves” - Edna Buchanan

My Blog http://gtech-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
Old 03-28-2010, 02:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Claude

This one might work for you: Portable Carving Bench Fiebig and Yundt Woodcarving

Claude

My Pinterest Page: Claude's Wood Carving and Beadwork

My WCI Gallery
Old 03-28-2010, 04:41 PM

You haven't mentioned what type of carving you intend to do. Many caricature carvers and whittlers hold the work in their hands and carve in their lap. If you are doing relief carving, the work surfaces described might be your answer. If you are chain-sawing bears from logs, that's an entirely different situation.

My WCI gallery:
Pallin's Gallery
Old 03-28-2010, 06:04 PM

I make (and sell ) portable carving stands. Take a look at the picture I have on my website and see if that would fill you needs.

Old Oak Enterprises

Dylan
Old 03-29-2010, 09:08 AM

most of my carving is done in my den-family room with a carpeted floor--i bought an apron from the woodcraft shop in bettendorf that catches 90% of the chips that i cut off- im doing hand held projects in this case. i think it was a bit over $20 shipped in. relief is an entirely different matter. i do that in the basement. because i need a table top ( workbench) to work on. but the chips are all in a 5 foot circle or so. a friend carves with the front two legs of a chair in a 3 foot square box and does it in his home. the thing is-- think outside of the box, so to speak-- look at what you have available and where you have to work-- you willfigure it out.

I'm in favor of saving the planet-- Its the only one with chocolate.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 AM

My wife is very understanding and i take advantage of it
I had surgery in January and Jan.,Feb., and most of March were very cold so she let me carve at the kitchen bar. I haven't told her that it has warmed up and I am recovered from my surgery and ma still in the kitchen. I do try to sweep up daily. It I am really hogging out lots o wood I step outside or go to the shop
Old 03-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Sir Bleedsalot

Harbor freight has a decent bench for about 100.00 or so when it goes on sale. It's small enough to fit in the corner of a condo and even has a vise on it. It could probably stand some cross bracing though.

Good luck,
Dan
Attached Images
File Type: gif 93991[1].gif (57.1 KB, 67 views)