Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving for Beginners
Connect with Facebook

Dale Green Woodcarving
Wood Carving for Beginners

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 03:14 PM

Default Needing thicker wood

Hi all as you can tell I'm new to carving.Just got signed up on here last evening.Well can anyone tell me the proper way to glue,epoxy 2 slats of wood together to make my slab thicker for the project that I'm trying to do?
Old 02-20-2010, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Needing thicker wood

Make sure your boards fit together well. Glue-up should not be counted on to hold together warped wood or wood with space between the 2 surfaces. The surface to be glued should be evenly cover with glue. Some glues need both surfaces to be coated. Check instructions on the glue. Just a little glue squeeze-out is good. Too little may indicate a glue starved joint. Too much is messy. Give the joint time to set-up.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:21 PM

This has been covered in another thread about gluing, but here goes:

The best glue-up you're going to get is the following:

Make sure the mating surfaces are clean and smooth, and match without voids.

Glue with yellow carpenter's glue - coat one surface evenly and completely or both surfaces with a thin coat.

Clamp as tight as you can over night.

I've never seen a glue starved joint with yellow glue, and the better the surfaces are mated and the tighter it's clamped, the thinner and less noticeable the joint.

My WCI Gallery
Old 02-20-2010, 08:14 PM

[QUOTE=carver33;317558]This has been covered in another thread about gluing, but here goes:

I've never seen a glue starved joint

I have heard arguments concerning the "glue starved" phrase. I tend to agree with it, if enough glue is put on the surface(s) to be joined and then clamped, you will not be able to squeeze all of the glue out. Some people will however over pressure the clamp(s) to try and straighten out some imperfect boards.
Any info along this "glue starved" idea will be appreciated.