Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving for Beginners
Connect with Facebook

American Science & Surplus
Wood Carving for Beginners

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 03:40 AM

Default Knives or Files & Rasps

As Carvers can you tell me if somebody used files, rasps, floats and sandpaper along with some knives and gouges would they be classified as carvers or more likely taken to Salem and you know what.

Pete
Old 11-29-2010, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Knives or Files & Rasps

Carving is the removing of wood to creat something else. How you get there is a mood point so long as you have fun doing it. Weather its a file or a knife or a power tool (which is nothing more than a powered file) it is all about personal ability and preference. I would not suggest sandpapaer however until you have completely finished the knife work...
Old 11-29-2010, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Paul_Guraedy

I use rasps, diamond files and sandpaper on all of my carvings. There are places that these instruments are a lot easier to use than anything else. Woodcarving is an extractive process and how you get the wood off is up to you. I would hesistate to call someone using a computerized device a woodcarver....but still, that is just my opinion and only counts for one person.

The general rule is not to use sharpened tools once you have started with sandpaper. I was disobeying this rule before I found out about it, continue this violation through yesterday and have not found it to have any noticeable affect on my knives and such. Perhaps it is because I strop on a regular basis.

My Website
www.sites.google.com/?pli=1

When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will we discover we cannot eat money.
~ Cree Prophecy ~
Old 11-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Member - CCSG

Default Any Tool

A carver carves with the best tool for the job. I carve primarily with a chainsaw while keeping both a Granfors Bruks carving axe and large set of Dastra gouges close by. If I thought the mirror off my Ford flatbed would so a better job, I'd use it to carve.

Fish pole 'carved' with chainsaw, angle grinder / sanding pad, die grinder / rotary rasp, mallet gouge and I probably used my pocket knife somewhere... Would anyone look at my tools and say, "He's not a wood carver." {That's the customer in the photo.}

http://ChainsawArtistMap.com
Old 11-29-2010, 11:32 AM

While I have used rasps, coping saws, axes and other wood-removal tools, there is something special about the experience of really sharp knives and gouges in wood. If you are concerned with speed or production, use power tools or dynamite - but if you carve for sheer enjoyment, stay with carving tools.

My WCI gallery:
Pallin's Gallery
Old 11-29-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
Carving is the removing of wood to creat something else. How you get there is a mood point so long as you have fun doing it. Weather its a file or a knife or a power tool (which is nothing more than a powered file) it is all about personal ability and preference. I would not suggest sandpapaer however until you have completely finished the knife work...
Still having trouble talking huh Dag!!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 06:22 PM

The great John Rood told his students to make use of wood rasps and rifler files. To my thinking the best woodcarver in the 20th century.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Still learning

Hey Butch, Great carving on that tree
Car
My Carvings and Dayton show Pics >>> After you go to the link, click the album of choice to open. Then clk. on the small pics to see bigger. http://picasaweb.google.com/wdpiper1
Old 11-30-2010, 07:03 AM
knot locator

What ever it takes to get er done !
Old 11-30-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsexton View Post
The great John Rood told his students to make use of wood rasps and rifler files. To my thinking the best woodcarver in the 20th century.
---------------------------
Thanks to everybody for your informed opinion. I have a set of rifler files but they are obviously cheap and nasty Chinese ####. Some of these files are so barbaric that they would not be out of place in a medieval torture chamber.

Some tools we can get away with cheap, but with files, rasps, saws, planes and cutting instruments I like to be in the good to premium area.

With regard to Rifler files what do you guys think is the lowest quality you would accept to produce quality work without tearing the grain fibre apart.

Pete