Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving for Beginners
Connect with Facebook

Dale Green Woodcarving
Wood Carving for Beginners

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 08:06 AM

Default Fornication

So last night I hit rock bottom. I have violated every law of decency imaginable!
I strayed under extreme temptation brought on by the results of carving with inferior tools.
At first it was just a thought, "maybe I can use a Dremel to clean up the edges and valleys that my cheap tools created?"
Then the thought became a reality and soon the Dremel roared at 35,000 rpm obeying my every command.
If that wasn't enough, another thought entered as I was "cleaning" up the edges,
"Why not carve in the rest of the small hands on my piece with my new friend the Dremel, my tools will not allow me to do a good job with those"
Before I knew it, away the Dremel went as if with a mind of its own and when all was said and done, we were in love!
I feel so cheap and trashy though.
Oh well, I'll get over it!

Blessings,
James
Old 03-24-2010, 08:40 AM

Send a message via MSN to breezly
Default Re: Fornication

James alot of people use a dremel to clean up the more you practice the less you will use it .Be patient it will come to you.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:01 AM

Chuckle, No Laugh out loud, and that is good for my system this morning
Old 03-24-2010, 10:31 AM

I truly believe that every man, no matter who he may be, falls in "LOVE' with at least one of his tools, whether it be a knife, chisel, gouge, Dremel, Foredom or what ever. Nothing wrong in that.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:55 PM
MyMother'sDaughter!

Welcome to the dark side! I sometimes get cheap and trashy myself by using my dremel. I say, sooo what! It's another tool, so why not use it! I really don't know why some think it's cheating to use it for carving. What I really think is it reminds people of the dentist office! Have fun with it!
Old 03-24-2010, 02:38 PM

I imagine if we really wanted to stay true the tradition of whittling or carving, we would have to go out and sharpen a yak bone and use only that.
I must say that I find it odd, especially as a beginner, that I can, to some extent, sense within myself some ill-perceived honor in not using power tools.
In some ways it kind of compares to me hand drawing a portrait of someone as oppose to the same portrait being done by those machines you see in the mall or better yet it compares to me building my own house and digging the foundation by hand as opposed to renting a backhoe.
Do you know what I mean? Weird, huh?

Blessings,
James
Old 03-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Allen Goodman

This fast little thing was one of my first dates in woodcarving. She took my eye & I fell in her electrical embrace...for I knew it,I too was in love with someone who was looked down on for her dirty and dusty past. One rainy night after a long argument over "which burr for the type wood",I guess I made her mad at me...it all happened so quick...suddenly she started making an unusual sound,then followed by smoke. I had done it...I pushed her too far ?...She let me down and broke my heart. After pondering our relationship for awhile,I knew I never would allow myself be let let down or left alone again ! I called up an old friend,who had always been there for me...my faithful,loyal sharpening stone.
...been in love ever since
Great post,we do fall in love with our tools,even downright defending them sometimes just like we would our spouse or someone special to us.
...I take a walk on the cheap and trashy side myself,and I have learned...I love all my tools-hand,power. Drive 'em like you stole them !
Old 03-24-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoodknife View Post
This fast little thing was one of my first dates in woodcarving. She took my eye & I fell in her electrical embrace...for I knew it,I too was in love with someone who was looked down on for her dirty and dusty past. One rainy night after a long argument over "which burr for the type wood",I guess I made her mad at me...it all happened so quick...suddenly she started making an unusual sound,then followed by smoke. I had done it...I pushed her too far ?...She let me down and broke my heart. After pondering our relationship for awhile,I knew I never would allow myself be let let down or left alone again ! I called up an old friend,who had always been there for me...my faithful,loyal sharpening stone.
...been in love ever since
Great post,we do fall in love with our tools,even downright defending them sometimes just like we would our spouse or someone special to us.
...I take a walk on the cheap and trashy side myself,and I have learned...I love all my tools-hand,power. Drive 'em like you stole them !
...so that's what they mean by the saying "a man is only as good as his wife".
Now I get it!

Blessings,
James
Old 03-24-2010, 03:10 PM

Evil Demon! Foul spirit you... I cast you out now in the name of Pfeil and Drake and all that is good!! Out I say... out!!!

:>)

Carve on....
Old 03-24-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpace View Post
Evil Demon! Foul spirit you... I cast you out now in the name of Pfeil and Drake and all that is good!! Out I say... out!!!

:>)

Carve on....
Can I take my Dremel with me?