Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving for Beginners
Connect with Facebook

Jerry-Rig
Wood Carving for Beginners

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 10:47 PM

Default Forefinger guard/Protector

I guess its because I use pen knives but I get sore about where the forefinger meets the palm. Bandaids have been useful and help with longer carving but I am wondering if there is some forefinger protector or something or does someone have some snazzy idea to protect it. I might just have to cut off a leather glove or something.....
Appreciate any suggestions
Old 03-09-2008, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Forefinger guard/Protector

Haha. I will answer this myself . Just in case others are interested.

I see some at www.qualitycarvingsupplies.com but I dont think they cover right to that spot i.e the joint and palm connection but I saw shooting gloves that over the forefinger and thumb that might work just perfect. =)

http://www.sevenmeadowsarchery.com/m...l?id=41&step=2
Old 03-10-2008, 12:34 AM

Mischief,
I use the rubber finger tips that secretarys use to help sort paper. Cut the tip off and slide it on. Buy them at Office Max or similar store.
I've always used the tips but went to Bishops class and noted they do as I wrote above to protect their finger when "chocking up" on a carving knife. Hopefully it would help in your case.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to squbrigg

Actually, cutting up an old leather glove might be the answer. Remove the last three fingers and leave the rest, should work. Must try it myself, been noticing parts of my hand getting sore lately while carving.

Bob

link to Gallery photos
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...user/2823/sl/s
Old 03-10-2008, 08:31 AM

When using any kind of hand protection the important thing to remember is that it must NOT be loose to the point that it moves around. Carvers get cut when things slip! THe best thing for individual fingers is the rubberized tape that you can wrap around the finger to get a form-fitting guard. The more you wrap the more protection you'll get but then if you wrap too much it defeats the purpose by creating another problem of interferring with the fingers movement. Experimentation will get you to the best solution.

I've seen people use those sewing finger protectors where there is leather on the front with elastic on the back. No thanks! They're just too ill-fitting to be counted on. Another new thing is Vet-tape. Again, no thanks! While I have a lot of it I use it on my horses which is what it's meant for.....not to protect my fingers. Bandaids will work in a pinch but the rubberized tape is the best solution hands down. Also, don't forget the other hand! You should wear a good-quality protective glove on that one as almost all serious accidents will involve the hand thats holding the piece you're working on......not the one holding the knife!!!
www.outwestgallery.com
Out West Woodcarving Possee On Facebook

Old 03-10-2008, 11:45 AM

Lynn, I thought Vet wrap was rubberized tape. Can you explain the difference or give a product name, please. Thanks, Vic
Old 03-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Senior Moment

I have used both of the rubberized tape and the rubber thumb protector with the tip cut off. Yep Bob, one of those little tid bitd from the Bishop Class. The rubberized tape was sold as Vet Tape but don't mistake it as the same as used on animals. Two different stuff. Like Lynn said, Don't over do the rubberized tape or make it to loose. Don't ask How I know.

http://www.picturetrail.com/ken_sanders

My WCI Gallery
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...00/ppuser/2326
Old 03-10-2008, 01:12 PM

I have attached a picture of my carving glove and my thumb guard. As you can see they're pretty well worn. Just think of the condition of my fingers had I not been wearing that glove!!! That green rubberized tape is the best stuff available to wrap your fingers. The problem with the Vet tape is that it comes in both a cloth and paper version. If you happen to get the paper kind thinking it will be the one to use you could be in for a very painful surprise! Don't take a chance.....stick with the green tape. We're not talking about a lot of money here and it might just save you a couple hundred bucks and a trip to the emergency ward.

As you can see, I even wrap my carving glove fingers to extend the life of that. I finally tossed out an old glove after over ten years of use. I couldn't even begin to count the grief that thing saved me from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Glove and Thumb Guard.jpg (53.6 KB, 39 views)
www.outwestgallery.com
Out West Woodcarving Possee On Facebook

Old 03-10-2008, 04:42 PM

Thanks for all the suggestion. My quick and dirty solution was to use Little Shaver's Long Thumb Guard on my forefinger. Works for now =)
...just one thought tho...whose thumb is this long??