Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving for Beginners
Connect with Facebook

Helvie Knives
Wood Carving for Beginners

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Mr.dallasjr

Default EASY ideas

Just started on this journey of wood carving. I think maybe having some ideas would be a good starting point. I was wondering what you guys thought. From all your experience what did you guys think was an easy project.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:18 PM

Default Re: EASY ideas

In the current issue of WCI there is a silly sheep project. This project would be good for a beginner, no intricate details. Everyone that has seen the sheep I carved thought it was "cute".!! The article calls for small round wooden balls for the eyes, I was not able to find them at the local craft store so I took a 1/4" dowel, carved a ball on the end, cut it off and glued it on for the eyes.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to Claude

Read through the past messages posted in this (Woodcarving for Beginners) forum, and also look through the ones at Wood Carving Tutorials - Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board.

Claude

My Pinterest Page: Claude's Wood Carving and Beadwork

My WCI Gallery
Old 03-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Mr.dallasjr

Thanks y'all
Old 03-17-2010, 03:29 PM

I think projects that utilize a knife and a carving glove is a good place to start. Check out the video section here with gene messer...you will find plenty to do...let us see how they turn out.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:13 PM

Also on youtube is YouTube - carverswoodshop's Channel, very good videos.

Dave
Old 03-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Whittling Fool

I learned a lot from Gene Messer's YouTube videos. As a total beginner a year ago, I really enjoyed the 5-minute bear. Do a few of those, and then look around at some of his other videos. Gene also did a couple of picture tutorials here on the forum, which I found very helpful.

Simple small figure from a block of wood
Hillbilly from a block of wood

Little Shavers has a free patterns page. When I first started carving, I found the pinecone ornament fun. Doing it also showed me that I needed to learn how to sharpen a knife. The Santa Christmas ornament linked from there was a bit harder, but I completed it.

Definitely check the Tutorials section of the forum. Also, my Carving Resources page (such that it is--I keep meaning to update it) has links to a few of the YouTube video carvers' pages.

Oh ... and don't forget Dave Brock's Simple Simon the Penguin videos. Simple and fun little carving.

How To Carve "Simple Simon" The Penguin- Part 1 (of 3) | Wood Trails - Dave Brock
How To Carve "Simple Simon" The Penguin- Part 2 (of 3) | Wood Trails - Dave Brock
How To Carve "Simple Simon" The Penguin- Part 3 (of 3) | Wood Trails - Dave Brock

Those ought to keep you occupied for a while . . .
Old 03-18-2010, 04:37 AM

The one i would reccomend 1st would be a cowboy boot. By doing it you do alittle bit of everything, Gene Messer has one on You Tube and Lynn D. has one on his web site also!!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:09 PM

i just started as well, my first sculpture was a whale, i enjoyed it, just make sure you start out on an actual piece of wood, i used a leftover 4x4 and had much frustration, when i carved a small block of bass wood for the first time i was totally amazed at how much more i could do with it. Have fun!!!