Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving for Beginners
Connect with Facebook

OCC Tools
Wood Carving for Beginners

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 07:40 PM

Question Dental drill for woodcarving

Hi, my name is Norma. I just stumbled across this site while looking for information on how to adapt an older Emesco lab dental drill to woodcarving. The drill came with a Wells H011 handpiece that seems to accept only larger shank bits. My dremel bits and dental burs are too small. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to modify the handpiece or find a source for a different handpiece that will accept the smaller shanks?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to breezly
Default Re: Dental drill for woodcarving

Hi norma the end of the handpiece does it come apart can you remove the collete is so then you will have to buy the size of collettes you need . dont know if im spelling that right or not B ut basically the piece that holds the bit in place
Old 03-12-2010, 09:03 AM

I have an old Dremel flex shaft that was a real pain to change the burr, I bought a mini chuck that is made by Dremel, it looks like a drill chuck. Once you fasten it in place you can open or close it with one hand. I can now use any bit, bur etc. I think Lowes and HD carry it.

Dave
Old 03-12-2010, 10:42 AM

Norma,
Check with Dallas Degee at Old Texas Woodcarvers Shop, he has reducing collets that slip inside the existing collet. Its much easer than changing collets for different size shank bits.
Kasee