Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving for Beginners
Connect with Facebook

Dale Green Woodcarving
Wood Carving for Beginners

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 07:24 AM

Red face carving marionette - help for beginner

Hello 'woodmates',

I'm an absolute begiiner to wood carving and I have the intention to make a marionette, a puppet on strings. Is there someone who has some experience in carving a caricature head, with some moving parts such as mouth and eyes and who would help me or who could give me some interesting tips? I'm sorry for the bad english and all the mistakes I'm writing here, but as I'm living in Belgium, english is not my mother language. Thanks a lot in advance.

Jan
Old 03-10-2010, 07:58 AM
WhittleBear Carver

Default Re: carving marionette - help for beginner

I haven't done any marionette carving yet. I have done some reading and research on the Internet. Maybe this link will be a good place to start:

upcoming marionette carving workshop Puppets in Prague. Workshops on puppet making, woodcarving, puppet animation in Prague, Czech Republic

Bob L
Old 03-10-2010, 09:54 AM

Hi! I recommend the book "Making and Manipulating Marionettes" by David Currell. See, also, this page on Conrad Hartz's website - Conrad's Info & Tips

which includes a diagram from Helen Fling's book on how to make and work marionettes. Both books are good for making marionettes, although I love anything by David Currell. You can also read Tony Sarg's marionette book for free, online at google books here - The Tony Sarg marionette book - Google Books. I thought it was a fascinating book on the subject.

Good luck to you and please post pictures!!
Kerry S
Old 03-10-2010, 11:02 AM

Very interesting web site.