Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving for Beginners
Connect with Facebook

OCC Tools
Wood Carving for Beginners

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 03:17 PM

Default Advice or suggestions for getting started???

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and am hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction by suggesting the best books or videos to learn how to carve animals. I don't know much about wood, different cuts or tools. I really want to learn how to carve smaller sized carousel type animals. I'm sure I have a very long way to go to get to where I want to be, but am anxious to start.

I appreciate any advice or suggestions someone might give.

Thank you.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:27 PM
North of 49

Default Re: Advice or suggestions for getting started???

In my own experience I started with shallow relief carvings, moved to deep relief and then to in the round. One of the best sources for simple patterns was kids coloring books. This may get me in trouble but I started with an Xacto knife and now make my own.

Last edited by Dicky; 02-27-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Waiting to Carve

i've been using an xacto (don't have anything else yet) and have heard from many people that it is not good except for occasional details.

but thanks for the tip on kids colouring books, thats a great idea for patterns
Old 02-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Expert chip maker

Hi Waterboy, welcome to the forum and the art/hobby of woodcarving. A good place to start is to get a good starter knife. That could be something as cheap as a Stanley #199 or similar, to a $30+ woodcarving knife. You'll probably want some chisels, gouges and parting/v-tools. Rick Ferry at Little Shavers Wood Carving Supply has a couple good kits, one is the beginners kit and the other is the starter kit.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:31 PM

Take a look at the tutorial section, and youtube for Arleen (carverswoodshop) and Gene Messer, here is a link to Gene's videos. Woodcarving Illustrated - Gene Messer Videos.

Dave
Old 02-28-2010, 10:07 AM

there are several carousel animal carvers out there-- in the kansas city area - jerry rinehart has carved professionally ( only carousel animals) for a long time-- im sure that there is one or more books out there carving carousel animals-- check with the woodcraft shop in bettendorf iowa. tho if u have a shop locally,,check with them-- look in WCI for a list of clubs in your area-- if u will post what area of the country you are in. im sure that some local carvers can give you some guidance.

I'm in favor of saving the planet-- Its the only one with chocolate.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Sir Bleedsalot

There is a book titled "Carving Caricature Animals" that is most likely out of print. I found a copy on Amazon for about three dollars. It had some really good beginners projects and used only minimal tools. Order that while you are waiting for your tools to come in.

Good luck,
Dan