Home | Features/3-D Models | The Work of Chris Hammack

The Work of Chris Hammack

Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
image Part of a caricature court scene carved by Chris Hammack

Additional photos of Chris' caricature court scene

The holiday 2010 issue of Woodcarving Illustrated includes an article on Chris Hammack. Chris started out carving wood, and then explored a career in the giftware industry before returning to his roots. Influenced by great carvers such as Andy Anderson, Harold Enlow, and Claude Bolton, Chris knew early on that he wanted to make a living from woodcarving.

Chris is well known for his cowboy bottle stoppers, teaches seminars, and was recently inducted into the Caricature Carvers of America. Visit Chris' website at www.ChrisHammackArt.com. Scroll down to view several photos of Chris' work that weren't featured in the printed article.

To read the full story on Chris Hammack, see Woodcarving Illustrated issue #53, which also includes a pattern for one of Chris' famous cowboy bottle stoppers.

Caricature Carvers Showcase  Caricature Carving  Woodcarving Country Folk

Fox Chapel Publishing
(WCI53)

Image gallery

Comments (10 posted):

Mark N. Akers on 11/11/2010 06:54:27
Really love Chris's style, his expressions are one of a kind, he will definately be a plus to the CCA.
Iowa Carver on 11/11/2010 10:49:00
I love Chris's work! Hope to take a class with him one of these days! Corey
JoeVM on 11/16/2010 10:32:08
Love the article and the great photos of his work! Will try the bottlestopper today.
fpace on 11/16/2010 13:19:14
That was a great article on him.. glad to see him return to his roots.
Don by the lake on 11/17/2010 15:58:24
I have been collecting Chris's bottle stoppers for about 5 years. I have about 20 stoppers, one bust, and four xmas ornaments. I started buying them because they were so cool and great go bys for doing faces and they were reasonably priced because they were resin. Chris has a unique style and definitely belongs with CCA! Great article!
NYRich on 11/19/2010 13:57:50
I'm not much of a drinker, but I may have to buy a bottle of something if I do a decent job of Chris's bottle stopper. It's going to be the second project I try from this issue.
Robert Cahill on 11/20/2010 10:07:27
I will also try to make his bottle stopper I really like his work. If anyone is interested Lynn has a way to make a neat jig using a bottle cutter to cut the top off used bottles and make a nice display for one on his blog
leavyc on 11/21/2010 01:16:45
I was fortunate to be at open carving at the Woodcraft shop in Bettendorf last Thursday, and Chris was just coming in to teach a class there. Everyone there got to see the woodcarving that he did " Five Fours". Absolutely outstanding. Also got to see the bottle stoppers. Definately someone I'd like to take a class from in the future.
Nomad on 11/21/2010 07:39:28
Great article and the carvings are truly wonderful. The expressions and poses are brilliant.
Grinling E Gibbons on 01/11/2011 13:19:12
I truly enjoyed this article about Chris Hammack. He is an inspiration to all of us who carve wood. It is a great motivation to those of us who would aspire to make wood carving our vocation and livelihood. He has shown that it can be done successfully. I can only hope that one day I can follow in Chris' footsteps.
View thread
  • email Email to a friend
  • print Print version